How do you love your spouse when you don’t feel like it or you don’t want to? For some, it does not come easily. My husband once told me, very early on in our marriage that he could never make me happy, and that true happiness only comes from God. It was very true, because I kept trying to find happiness in him – and as a human, he kept disappointing me. In this episode we examine love, discuss relationships, self-giving vs. self-serving, and we’ll explore what love looks like to you and how you can be happy in a relationship with some of the right tools.
Show Notes: Loving Your Spouse
- 1 Peter 3:1
- Colossians 3:18-19
Loving your spouse involves not comparing this person and realizing the following…
- We are all human – “news flash” – just in case you didn’t know
- We are not married to the hallmark version of what a real man or real woman looks like
- If you think there is someone better out there for you – think again
- You made a commitment to marriage and a promise to each other – so make it work
- There is no such thing as too late.
Keys to Loving your spouse and a happy marriage:
- Grow together spiritually
- No walks in the park, romantic dinners, quiet get-a-ways – all very nice but not the key to growing
- Be thankful for each other as a gift from God.
- Thank God
- Tell each other
- The key to fixing any problem is to fix yourself
- Seek forgiveness – if you have offended your spouse, apologize and ask forgiveness – sometimes people don’t even know why their spouse is angry – so find out why