Our present culture believes with enough spin it can tell us how to act, what to think and what it means to be authentically a real woman. To really understand what authentic womanhood is you have to search deeper than your television screen. And from all appearances in today’s media, authentic woman are those who side with a cause, are angry, are card-carrying-NOW members, scared or need a “safe place.”
Women, or the ones I know and call my friends, are not drama queens.
We don’t have time. We are busy people. Contrary to popular belief most stay-at-home moms would earn six figures if they were paid for all the things they do. Just think if you hired a full-time chauffeur, housekeeper, cook, personal shopper, tutor or private teacher (in the case of homeschoolers), etc. If you are a working mom, you can pile all of the previous on your plate, and then add work- okay, maybe back out the schooling part. Now we may understand why working women are overwhelmed. Six figures would not cover the costs of what moms gladly do for their families – for free -full time…but that isn’t what defines womanhood it isn’t what you are or what you do – it is the essence of who you are. Think about it.
I grew up in a family of boys. First, my male cousins who were my best friends. When we moved from New York to Canada, I was in third grade and my companions became my younger brothers. I had two best friends, one was my neighbor and the other a friend down the road both girls, but I had friends at school who were boys. My dad and mom worked alongside each other most of their lives. My dad and mom were both seamstresses. My dad was equally as good with a sewing machine as my mom. Both were in high demand and worked as personal dressmakers for the rich clientele in Canada, and then as co-owners of an Italian Restaurant in Winter Haven, Florida.
I didn’t think I was better or lesser because of my chromosomes. My dad sewed, my dad cooked and my dad was very, very successful in business.
I am truthfully fearful — not so much for you – but for our children and grandchildren.
Gender Identity is currently in confusion.
- Our identity is being formed by the media in sound bites of misinformation
- Our children are learning about their identity by those who are loudly protesting or gender neutral restrooms in stores or if your children attend schools in some school districts
- In the information overload world in which we live we are being told how to act, what to think and if we – *gasp* disagree with status quo we are maligned, marginalized and called all kinds of hateful names – usually with the added suffix FOB
- Can you be truly feminine without being a feminist?
- Do you have to be a VICTIM or a REVOLUTIONARY?
I believe there are so many things that happen in our lives and shape who we are … but REAL womanhood is and should NOT be shaped by our culture – because it is ordained by God.
Is it too late? Is it too late to talk about authentic womanhood or has our culture shut us out and we must remain a minority? I don’t believe it is, but I do believe it begins with you. When you witness anger, hostility and horrible negative comments, and truthfully confusion about what it means to be a woman, don’t let it get you down.
If you don’t’ know who you are and your place in society as a woman, it is time to get on your knees and seek the ONE who knows. Do you know enough about WHO you are AS A WOMAN to pass it down to your children? Who are you? What is true womanhood? Obviously, this question must be answered.
There is darkness in this world. There is confusion …We now hear about gender confusion all the time. Friends how did our world go so quickly down the tubes. Right is Wrong and Wrong is Right.
The enemy does not want us to be authentically woman – the enemy wants to confuse and break up marriages – break up families.
I am holding a worn napkin I received from a friend that says – BE THE KIND OF WOMAN THAT WHEN OUR FEET HIT THE FLOOR EACH MORNING THE DEVIL SAYS, “OH CRAP, SHE’S UP.” I want to be that kind of woman– and we can only be that woman in Christ.
True womanhood is not defined by the time period in which we live. It is not defined by your education, the car you drive, the jewelry you own, where you live… true womanhood is not defined by the man you married or what he does for a living. True womanhood is not defined by the job you hold or if you are a stay at home mom – or ladies, by the number of children you have. Our womanhood is a gift from God – being open to life is authentic womanhood but even a good thing can come off as bad when we use it to elevate ourselves. As I go through what true womanhood is I realize there is an exception to the “rule” … there have been stay at home moms who hated being at home or hated being mothers – sad, but true. And, their children suffered for it – maybe you are one of those children.
Ladies that is not the norm – that Is not how God ordained it.
To be clear I am saying that our womanhood is not defined by what we do but WHO we are – there is a distinction here. Can you be a woman who works outside the home and be an authentic woman? Yes. But don’t use that as an excuse to not be fully woman especially if you are married and have children.
No one at the end of their life says, “Oh, I am so sorry I did not get that job promotion or missed that big deal…” what they do regret is time wasted or lost with their children or family.”
I made a statement earlier … authentic womanhood is a gift from the Almighty God – something that NO one can take away from YOU – because YOU have been entrusted with a very special gift – and now I want to share that gift.
- True womanhood is closely connected to love, it gives life it is balance. To love is to be a woman
- True womanhood remembers the gift of our feminine genius – this is the charism that the Holy Spirit gives to women – all of our victories, our faith, hope and charity is thanks to this gift.
- True womanhood understands we have our dignity – due to the very fact that we are women – genetically our DNA is female– no matter what a person does or how they act this fact cannot be changed—we are given the dignity and rights as a HUMAN person, a woman by Almighty God
- True womanhood isn’t an either or – it isn’t an revolution it is a gift given to us as good by our very nature, the fabric of our womanhood was knit in our mother’s womb… it was formed when two people loved enough to form a child, an outgrowth of love. True womanhood is found in Motherhood – God has given us and only us the gift of motherhood the ability to shelter a child in the womb which is a unique and joyful experience that is not given to any other but US. If you are an adoptive mother – God bless you for taking a child into your home – as women we have that gift of being able to guide our children in life – we are there for all the firsts in our child’s life. In addition real womanhood cooperates with men –ladies without a man there is not baby – Gen 1:28 “Fill the earth and subdue it” [Given to both men and women.] For single women – there is “spirtual motherhood,” the ability to mother in the form of ministry.
- We are the only ones who are called daughter – mother – wife – no other. We are gifted with intuition, sensitivity generosity and self-giving. We are gifted with loyalty… women are fiercely loyal.
- Authentic woman is knowing who you are despite being marginalized by society or the circumstances in your life whether it is an abusive home or abusive marriage – authentic womanhood is seeking help and leaving an abusive situation.
- Authentic womanhood gains its strength from an infilling of the Holy Spirit – from an acknowledgement that it is no accident that you were born a woman – it is no accident that God knew you before you were born and held you in the palm of His hand and will love you with a love that surpasses all understanding.
- True womanhood is the courage to take this gift we’ve been given and pass it on as a legacy to our children – to share this with our friends to explain the value of being a woman in the true sense of the word.
- True womanhood is the gift of being an equal partner (not better or worse than) with our male counterpart – to understand that womanhood compliments manhood and allow our husband to be real men – to be our protectors to open the door or provide for us and it is not a detrimental thing. Genesis 2:20 “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper fit for him” [The help is not one sided but mutual—womanhood expresses the “human” as much as manhood does but in a different way.]
- True womanhood remembers the greatest example in history and that is the mother of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ and that is Mary. She exemplifies all that is good and holy in motherhood, Mary’s yes … let it “… be done to me according to thy Word,” gave us the perfect example. If we want a happy life if we want to be fully woman we must surrender to the Lord and understand HIS holy will for our life
So, ladies – stand up and be that true woman God wants you to be!